Sonic Forces will have a third playable character, in addition to Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. Much to my surprise, that third playable character is completely customizable.
Sega also announced that Sonic Forces will launch on the Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC this holiday. The create-a-character option features seven animal types to design a character integral to the upcoming Sonic game’s narrative.
The seven character types (list acquired via IGN)
- Bear — Blows away enemies with a homing attack
- Bird — Flies high with double jump abilities
- Cat — Keeps one ring after being hit
- Dog — Restarts with five rings after the player dies
- Hedgehog — Collects rings when getting damaged
- Rabbit — Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
- Wolf — Automatically draws in rings when near them
Aside from choosing the animal type, players can also choose the headgear, accessories, shoes, and more. Every customized hero will have a grappling hook as means of traversing around the levels. Also, similar to Sonic Colors, characters can be customized further via Wispons, items that can be used both as weapons and traveling with style.
This is the first time character creation has been featured in the Sonic franchise — let’s hope Sega continues to make bold decisions like this with Sonic Forces.
Brett Medlock is one of our leads on video production here at Enthusiast Gaming. He’s obsessed with action-adventure games, platinum trophies, and K-pop. To hear more about how lame he is, follow him on Twitter @brettnll