You can probably find most Samurai Shodown games in an arcade or pizza parlor near you. The game was included in most Neo Geo cabinets, having other games like Metal Slug selectable to play. But, you might have never heard of Samurai Shodown V Special, mostly due to its botched launched and censorship. This censorship was mostly due to its inclusion of excessive blood and Overkill moves, much like fatalities in Mortal Kombat. Now, the game is slated for release on PlayStation 4 and PS Vita.
Today, we are happy to announce that we have heard our fan’s requests to bring this game back in its original form, and have been working with our partners at Code Mystics to deliver the game to PS4 and Vita. The goal from the start has been to give the game a proper release that will not be marred by the circumstances that hobbled the original AES launch.-PlayStation.Blog
There are many reasons why the game is held in such high regards. It seemed like the perfect evolution of the franchise, particularly it’s acceptance of various gauges and finishing moves. With such a highly regarded playstyle, it’s no wonder that Samurai Shodown V Special would make an appearance at the biggest fighting tournament, EVO 2017. A beta of the game will be playable at the event.
There is currently no release date announced for Samurai Shodown V Special.
Here are some of the highlighted features from the game:
- Sword Gauge: A meter that directly affects how much damage you do. Any attack—even whiffs or blocked attacks—reduces the meter and the amount of damage you can do. It slowly regenerates to maximum when you are not attacking.
- Rage Gauge: A staple in the Samurai Shodown series. Taking damage fills this meter and once at max it results in increased attack power along with other bonuses. A Rage Explosion command can also be used which can be used to push back your opponent and open up other possibilities.
- Weapon Flipping Attack: The super special move of Samurai Shodown V Special. It can be used while the Rage Gauge is at max or during a Rage Explosion. The move will both deal significant damage to the opponent and disarm them.
- Concentration One: Only usable under certain conditions, this move will result in your opponent going into slow motion while you move at normal speed. Combined with the damaging Fatal Flash command that can only be used in this state, this command is perfect for staging last minute come-backs.
- Overkill Moves: These are ultimate moves that can only be used once during a match against an opponent who is already on the ropes. Landing this move will result in your character executing the opponent with a brutal, visceral secret technique.