For some reason, the fishing simulator genre is pretty big. We’ve had fishing games since the 90s, and there are new ones still coming out to this day. One of those new titles is Fishing Planet. Developed by Fishing Planet LLC, this new title describes itself as ‘the ultimate fishing simulator’. That’s one way to grab someone’s attention.
Fishing Planet is an online sim which has been developed by “avid fishing enthusiasts for anglers to bring you the full thrill of actual angling”. Here’s a rundown of the features:
- 72+ species of fish, each with its unique behavior and AI.
- 12 scenic waterways with multiple locations, various climatic conditions, bottom terrains and vegetation.
- Thousands of tackle combinations with unique physical and hydrodynamic properties.
- Superb dynamic water graphics with ripples and surface that changes depending on wind, current and depth.
- Weather – day/night alternation, change of seasons, different weather conditions (rain, fog, bright sunshine)
- Multiplayer capacity – online tournaments with personal and team scores, system of achievements, leader boards and top-player lists.
The developers have made sure to emphasize that one of the big differences between Fishing Planet and other sims out there is that this simulator sports a ‘Complex AI system’. This allows the fish behaviour to change depending on all sorts of different factors, like the time of day and even between the different fish species. This all sounds nice, but you can’t sail any boats in this game. Automatically taking five points off.
Fishing Planet will be swimming onto PS4 on August 29th. If you can’t wait that long, you can play it now on Steam as an Early Access title.
Check out the official PS4 trailer. Note: this is easily one of the most intense trailers I’ve ever watched. The music….the sound effects; couldn’t tell if I was watching a trailer for a game or the next Hollywood action blockbuster. Seriously, just see it for yourself: