I’ve gotten the chance to dive deep into the PlayStation 4 remake of a classic title by the name of Shadow of the Colossus. As most of you probably already knew, the original released back in 2005 on the PlayStation 2 and received critical acclaim due to its beautiful world, artistic story, and the bold mechanic of being a video game that features nothing but boss fights. Fast forward thirteen years and Bluepoint Games has rebuilt the title from the ground up for PS4. Needless to say, this is a must play for anyone who missed the original PS2 release, or its PS3 remaster. However, you might be curious if this adventure is worth jumping back into if you recently played a previous version; short answer, absolutely.
Here’s my video preview/let’s play of the highly anticipated action adventure game for PS4. I go over the new features this version offers, how the controls feel, and how fantastic of a job Bluepoint did with its graphical overhaul. I also created a short list of things I noticed throughout my first five-hour playthrough of Shadow of the Colossus on PS4. Check it out below.
- Four control types: Classic, Classic Remapped, Modern, Modern Remapped (video goes over them).
- Photo mode works similar to the Uncharted Collection and The Last of Us on PS4.
- There’s performance mode that boosts the frames-per-second to 60. As well as a cinematic mode that’s in (native?) 4K (which is what I preferred).
- You can play the game with different screen filters on (Ex. Night, Faded, Vibrant, etc.)
- Like the original, the camera is controllable during all cutscenes.
- Bonus: it’s still a must-play, full review next week 😉
Do you plan on picking up Shadow of Colossus for PlayStation 4? Did you play the original? Be sure to leave all your thoughts in the comments section below!